It's hard to describe the amazing feeling of looking out over a crowd of more than 51,000 people at Santa Anita Racetrack. It reminded me of the scenes in the Seabiscuit movie, minus all the hats!
From a fan's perspective, the 2008 Breeders Cup at Santa Anita was a great success. Some of the highlights for me were:
- No lines more than 5 or 6 people deep at the mutuel windows!
- It was easy to move around from the paddock to the trackside rail, due to Santa Anita's excellent crowd control and security.
- Lots of customer service people, with "Ask Me" buttons -- truly ready to help.
- Great food!
- Zenyatta, Ventura, and Goldikova! You go girls!!
- I got to see Frankie Dettori's flying dismount TWICE!
- Watching Governor Schwartzenegger present the trophy for the Classic.
- The synthetic track got rave reviews.
- The on-track crowd LOVED the super star horses, giving standing ovations to both Zenyatta and Curlin.
- The excitement was incredible both days!
I love Santa Anita, and am already looking forward to 2009 Breeders Cup there.