From edited Santa Anita press releases.
What do you open on the day after Christmas?
Spectacular Santa Anita Park, of course! Dating back to Dec. 25, 1934, opening day at Santa Anita has been widely recognized as one of the great days in American sports. With exactly two weeks to go, the track is readying for its 72nd opening day on Friday, Dec. 26.
- All fans attending on opening day will receive Santa Anita's highly coveted 2009 wall calendar, free with paid admission.
- Santa Anita's traditional opening day feature, the Grade 1, $250,000 Malibu Stakes for 3-year-olds at seven furlongs, will highlight an outstanding card of world-class racing. The Grade 3, $100,000 Sir Beaufort Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile on turf, and the $125,000 California Breeders' Champion Stakes for 2-year-old fillies figure to also provide fans with good wagering opportunities.
- The world-famous Budweiser Clydesdales will also be performing on opening day.
- Free Fridays! With the exception of opening day, fans will be offered free general admission on all Friday programs throughout Santa Anita's upcoming 84-day winter-spring meet. In addition to general admission, outstanding box seating will be available free of charge on Fridays on a first come, first served basis. Fans will also be treated to a one dollar menu, which includes beers, sodas, hot dogs, and popcorn.
- First post time on opening day is 12 noon. Santa Anita's winter/spring meet will run through April 19.