Tuesday, March 30, 2010

On the Set of "Luck" at Santa Anita


Well I've just wrapped up a grueling two days of work as an extra (actually we were called "background") for the filming of Luck at Santa Anita, an HBO pilot written and produced by David Milch and directed by Michael Mann.

And let me tell you, I have nothing but respect for everyone involved in film production, from the multitude of crew members to the actors, assistant directors and director. Apparently non-stop 14 hour work days are nothing out of the ordinary for these people. It almost killed me! It was, however, an experience I wouldn't trade. For one thing, I got to work on the same set as actors Dustin Hoffman, Nick Nolte, Richard Kind, and Kevin Dunn.

The days started with a 5:30 a.m. call, and a visit to the wardrobe trailer in the dark.

Wardrobe trailer in the parking lot at Santa Anita.

Waiting in line for costumes.

It was amazing to see Clockers' Corner transformed into a bustling movie set!

Clockers' Corner becomes a movie scene.


One of the best parts of working on the production was getting a chance to meet some of the wonderful people, including a very gracious Richard Kind and some extraordinary extras.

Extras extraordinaire Michael Mallers and Patti Maeda.

Yes, that's yours truly with Richard Kind!

It was a lot of fun, but I'm looking forward to going back to my "real job" tomorrow. Considering I was daydreaming of sitting in my comfy office chair for two days, apparently I'm not cut out for the rigors of movie production... I think I'll watch future filming at Santa Anita on my lunch breaks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics and insite to this HBO film! How does one become a background for this production?

dave

Anonymous said...

Hey I heard a horse died ...What happened?

Mannfan said...

Hi, these are the first pictures I have seen from Mann's new production. Did you see Michael Mann? I have a blog over at www.michael-mann.blogspot.com. I would love to know more about your experience if you don't mind writing back?

Post a Comment