Wind Caper will make her West Coast debut Sunday at Hollywood Park for trainer Ron Ellis. In her last start, Wind Caper beat maiden specials by a neck at Presque Isle Downs.
"She's in pretty tough," said Ellis, "but we couldn't find an allowance race for her."
Sunday marks the 22nd running of the $100,000-added Moccasin Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at 7 furlongs on the Cushion Track. The race serves as a prep for the $250,000 Hollywood Starlet Dec. 13th. Here's how the field lines up:
- MI CHIAMANO MIMI (Garrett Gomez)
- CASINO GOLD (David Flores)
- WILL O WAY (Rafael Bejarano)
- WIND CAPER (Jose Valdivia, Jr.)
- MALUSITA (Joel Rosario)
- PASAR SILBANO (Mike Smith)
- MONTANA FIELDS (Michael Baze)
- EVITA ARGENTINA (Tyler Baze)
- PALACIO DE AMOR (Victor Espinoza)
- WYNNING RIDE (Joseph Talamo)
- MOONTUNE MISSY (Aaron Gryder)
A Little Bit of History...
Moccasin (1963-1986) was an American Champion and the only two-year-old filly to be voted Horse of the Year. She shared the honor in 1965 with Roman Brother. Undefeated in 8 starts as a 2-year-old, Moccasin was the first female to be named Horse of the Year since Busher 20 years earlier. Her wins included the Spinaway, Matron, Alcibiades, Selima and Gardenia Stakes. A full sister to Ridan, Moccasin's grandsire was the champion Nasrullah who in turn was sired by the very important Nearco.