Sunday, November 16, 2008

Curlin Retired

video
Curlin Schooling for the Breeders Cup Classic, in the Paddock at Santa Anita Oct. 16, 2008.

Curlin, the 2007 Horse of the Year and winningest horse in North American history, will not race again after this year. The announcement was made Saturday by Curlin's majority owner, Jess Jackson, who said that Curlin may race once more before the end of this year.

Curlin, who raced as a four-year-old this year finishing 4th in the Breeders' Cup Classic, has earned more than $10 million in a career that includes 11 wins in 16 starts - including victories in the $6 million Dubai World Cup, the Stephen Foster, the Woodward and the Jockey Club Gold Cup. He is one of the top contenders for 2008 Horse of the Year.

Jackson, who owns 80 percent of Curlin, last week reportedly submitted a private offer for the remaining 20 percent interest in the horse.

1 comment:

acpaul said...

I can't say that I was surprised to hear this. He has, after all, had a fantastic career.

Nevertheless, I shall miss watching and rooting for Curlin.

I wish him the best of luck in the breeding sheds and hope to, someday soon, root for his sons and daughters.

Post a Comment