Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Derby Fever!

The PamplemousseThe Pamplemousse coming off the track at Santa Anita, Friday morning, 1/2/09.

The new year has just started, and I'm already getting Derby fever -- well, least Santa Anita Derby fever! There are some really promising and spectacular looking 3-year-olds on the grounds at Santa Anita, and in training at Hollywood Park, right now. Here are some of the ones I will be watching:

  • Point Encounter - impressive debut winner at Santa Anita opening day.
  • Pioneer of the Nile - winner of the CashCall Futurity at Hollywood Park.
  • Square Eddie - BC Juvenile runner-up, reportedly awaiting the San Rafael.
  • The Pamplemousse - winner of a 1-1/16 mile maiden race at Hollywood Park Dec. 14.
  • Majormotionpicture - debut winner at Del Mar, possible for the San Rafael.
  • Believe in Hope - 3rd in the Norfolk S., scheduled to return in the San Vicente, Feb. 16.
I'd love to hear anyone else's picks....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's not in California, but hopefully tuning up at Oaklawn, so I'm looking forward to seeing more from Old Fashioned. Point Encounter did look good in his race and I, too, liked Pioneer of the Nile in the Cash/Call. It's so early, though, I hate getting my heart set on a winner too soon - ha!
txhorsefan
Celeste

Post a Comment