Monday, February 23, 2009

Academy Awards and Horse Racing Movies

Last night's Academy Awards telecast will no doubt create a surge in movie going, as well as boost in video rentals. Although it's been a few years since a horse racing movie has been part of the Oscar buzz, there are many excellent ones available for rental.

Some of those with Oscar credentials are:
  • A Day at the Races (1937)
    Nomination: Best Dance Direction

  • Kentucky (1938)
    WON: Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Walter Brennan)

  • National Velvet (1944)
    WON: Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Anne Revere)
    WON: Best Film Editing
    Nominations: Best Art Direction - Interior Decoration, Best Cinematography, Best Director.

  • Salty O'Rourke (1945)
    Nomination: Best Original Screenplay

  • The Black Stallion (1979)
    WON: Special Achievement Award for Sound Editing
    Nominations: Best Supporting Actor (Mickey Rooney) and Best Film Editing.

  • Seabiscuit (2003)
    Nominations: Best Picture, Best Art Direction, Best Cinemetography, Best Costume Design, Best Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Adapted Screenplay.
For a list of the favorites of Santa Anita horse trainers and blog readers, click here.

7 comments:

zraces said...

That Oscar night was a nightmare. Movies jumbled up with movies, showing clips from movies not even nominated, what a bore. These people are shameless in the way they congratulate themselves.

Sally said...

zraces, I agree.

Mary, my husband has a 16mm print of "Charlie Chan at the Racetrack," large parts of which were shot at Santa Anita in 1936!

Anonymous said...

I'll take "A Day at the Races" over "Slumdog" any day!

Anonymous said...

Needless to say there were a lot more horse racing films made pre-1960's.

The Meadowlands Clubhouse has some vintage movie posters of films that seem obscure to me,
but the old timers might remember seeing the ones
with Mickey Rooney and Suzanne Pleshette, et. al.

I may have to haul my camera next time.

Mary Forney's Blog said...

Well, if you do get out there with your camera and have a chance to send me some photos of those vintage movie posters, that would be super! Maybe could use them on an upcoming post. Mary.

Anonymous said...

Horses are indeed majestically beautiful creatures. I just love their might. They adore me specially when they race against each other. That's why I always participate and bet on these horse races. But I'm not that into horse racing movies though.

The_Knight_Sky said...

I will certainly try to take a few pictures.
The indoor lighting will be a challenge though.

I'd think those pics would best belong here
instead of a post of my own.
Hang in there for a week or two. ;-)

Post a Comment