Thursday, February 5, 2009

Derby Fever Heats Up at Santa Anita Saturday

Bittel Road Schooling at Santa Anita Jan. 30.

I've been watching Bittel Road, 4th in the CashCall Futurity at Hollywood Park on Dec. 20, school this week at Santa Anita for trainer Tod Pletcher. A gorgeous Stormy Atlantic colt, Bittel Road has been handling his schooling paces with lots of class. He drew the inside post in a field of nine for Saturday's Grade 2 Robert B. Lewis Stakes for 3-year-olds at 1-1/16 miles.

He will face CashCall Futurity winner Pioneer of the Nile and runner up I Want Revenge in a stellar field of Derby hopefuls.

Here’s how the field shapes up, including jockeys and weights, in post position order:
  • Bittel Road, Velazquez, 122
  • Pioneer of the Nile, Gomez, 122
  • Papa Clem, Bejarano, 115
  • I Want Revenge, Talamo, 115
  • Mark S the Cooler, Nakatani, 115
  • Oil Man, Smith, 115
  • Brother Keith, Tyler Baze, 115
  • Shafted, Rosario, 117
  • Charlie’s Moment, Jose Valdivia Jr., 117

2 comments:

Sally said...

Really interesting that you posted this. I've been doing my handicap homework last night and this morning, and he was the one I focussed on too. I like the way he's put together in the pictures you've posted--- I mean, he looks like power!

Anonymous said...

I think this is going to be a very interesting race. If Brother Keith can keep it together on the turn I think he's going to be dangerous. Shafted might also be one who's getting good at the right time.

Post a Comment