Sunday, March 1, 2009

Santa Anita Jockeys Play Basketball for Charity



The Santa Anita jockeys played the Holy Angels Varsity basketball team Thursday evening at La Salle High School in Pasadena, California. It was the 42nd annual game, which raises proceeds for the Holy Angels Athletic Department. Holy Angels is a Catholic elementary school just across Huntington Drive from Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia.

Jockeys participating in the game were David Flores, captain, Rafael Bejarano, Brice Blanc, Isaias Enriquez, Corey Nakatani, Joe Talamo and Kayla Stra. In addition, Mike Smith and retired jockeys Eddie Delahoussaye, Laffit Pincay Jr. and Gary Stevens lent support. The jockey team was coached by HRTV's Kurt Hoover.

The game is always a lot of fun to watch and very well attended. During half time, Nakatani represented the jockeys in a contest for the most free throws in three minutes, which he won with 27 successful shots.

The final score: Holy Angels 35, Jockeys 19.

11 comments:

Sally said...

Mary, do you have a youtube channel?

The_Knight_Sky said...

Interesting.
What's LaSalle's record for this season ?

The jocks squad may not be tall, but they sure must be fit.

Mary Forney's Blog said...

Sally, yes I do have a youtube channel. You can see my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/maryforney. Thanks for asking!

Mary Forney's Blog said...

Hi Knight Sky,
I agree that the jocks are incredibly fit, and over the years they have had some super all around athletes who are also good basketball players. However, the Holy Angels team they play is made up of 7th and 8th graders; they just use the La Salle H.S. gym.

Anonymous said...

7th and 8th graders?

Well at least they can go to high school
and and claim they've beaten "professional athletes".

That should work wonders for their self-esteem. LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi,

BetAmerica offers great racing action from top thoroughbred and harness tracks all with FREE VIDEO. You also get the HIGHEST CASH REWARDS in the industry.

--------------------
Thanks
Alex
horse racing

Anonymous said...

Do you know mike smith!?

Mary Forney's Blog said...

Anon, yes I do.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What's he like he seems great! I haven't had much time to keep up with racing latley and I wish I could but I'm really busy. He probably hears this alot but I'm a really big fan of his (even before that animal planet show) I own one horse named roger an arabian, we love to go for gallops and I really thought about becoming a jockey ever since I watched my first breeders cup but soon gave up the hope since I'm five foot three and still growing. By the way you have an awsome blog so keep it up. I wish I was out there at Santa Anita to but since I'm not I've really been reallying on your blog. I know this is kind of a pesky question that you usually get alot but what is Mike like?

Mary Forney's Blog said...

Anon, thanks for following my blog. I'm really glad you like it and hope it gives you a good idea of what's going on at Santa Anita. You're lucky to have your own horse to ride! I have to say that Mike Smith is one of the nicest people I know -- very down to earth and friendly, and easy to talk to. You'd like him! Thanks again. Mary

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me know it means alot to me! I really wish that I could be out there (at Santa Anita) but it's not likley thanks to schol in Colorado. Mabey someday. Anyway thanks again this is a great blog keep it up!

Post a Comment